As an eCommerce seller, it can be tempting to turn to discounts as a way to drive sales and move inventory. However, offering constant discounts can erode your profit margins and undermine the perceived value of your products. So, how can you boost sales without relying on discounts? Read on for five tips to help you effectively sell your products at full price.
As a business owner or manager, you may want to increase sales without having to lower prices. However, some experts believe that offering coupons can be a helpful way to boost conversions in eCommerce. Ultimately, the decision comes down to what your primary goal is: do you want to focus on increasing sales or maximizing profit?
Here are five tips for selling without discounting on your eCommerce store:
1. Emphasize the distinctive features of the store and its merchandise
Emphasize the distinctive features of the store and its merchandise. Target consumers who appreciate the worth of high-quality goods.
For example, if you visit the Saint Laurent website, you will usually not find any sales or clearance sections, nor will you see a box for entering coupon codes at checkout. Luxury brands do not frequently offer discounts, and when they do, it is often on items from previous seasons that are no longer in high demand.
There are many unique selling points that you can highlight on your online store to make your products stand out from competitors. Some examples include:
- High-quality materials or craftsmanship: If your products are made with high-quality materials or are particularly well-made, you should emphasize this in your product descriptions and marketing materials.
- Unique design: If your products have a unique or eye-catching design, this can be a strong selling point.
- Functionality: If your products are particularly functional or solve a specific problem, this can be a unique selling point.
- Sustainability: If your products are made with environmentally-friendly materials or practices, this can be a unique selling point for consumers who are looking for more sustainable options.
- Customization: If you offer the option to customize your products, this can be a unique selling point that sets you apart from competitors.
- Brand story or values: If your brand has a compelling story or stands for certain values, this can be a unique selling point that resonates with consumers.
Remember, the key is to identify what makes your products different and emphasize those points to potential customers.
2. Focus on the value of your products to potential customers
Make sure that you clearly communicate the value of your product to your customers. This can help to justify the price you are charging and make it easier for customers to justify the purchase to themselves.
Some ways you can focus on the value of your online store's products are:
- Highlight the benefits of the product: Make sure to clearly communicate the benefits of your product to the customer. How will it improve their life or solve a problem they have?
- Emphasize the quality of the product: If your product is made with high-quality materials or craftsmanship, make sure to highlight this.
- Use social proof: Share reviews and testimonials from satisfied customers to demonstrate the value of your product.
- Offer a guarantee or warranty: Offering a guarantee or warranty can help customers feel more confident in the value of your product.
- Use comparative language: If your product is more expensive than similar products on the market, make sure to highlight the additional value it offers.
Offer excellent customer service: Providing excellent customer service can help to enhance the perceived value of your product.
3. Offer bundle deals
Consider offering bundle deals or package deals, where customers can get a discount for purchasing multiple items at once. This can be a win-win, as customers feel like they are getting a deal and you can still maintain your desired profit margin.
Here are a few different ways that you can offer bundle deals or package deals on your eCommerce website:
- Create pre-made bundles: These are packages of products that are already put together and are sold at a discounted price.
- Offer customizable bundles: Allow customers to select the products they want to include in their bundle and offer a discount for purchasing multiple items.
- Use upselling techniques: When a customer adds a product to their cart, you can suggest other related products that they might be interested in and offer a discount for purchasing multiple items.
- Run limited-time promotions: Consider offering bundle deals as a limited-time promotion to create a sense of urgency and encourage customers to make a purchase.
- Offer bundle deals as a loyalty reward: Consider offering bundle deals as a reward for customers who have reached a certain loyalty tier or have made a certain number of purchases from your store.
Brands like SKIMS make it easy for customers to purchase additional items by featuring a "Complete the Look" section directly under the "Add to Cart" button. This can encourage customers to add a second item to their cart and increase sales for the brand.
In this second example, brand Glossier offers pre-made bundles on a separate page of their website. These kits consist of products that are already put together and sold at a discounted price. This is a convenient way for customers to purchase multiple products at a reduced price.
4. Use scarcity and urgency tactics
Creating a sense of scarcity or urgency around your products can help to drive sales. For example, you could offer limited-time deals or create a sense of urgency by highlighting that quantities are limited.
Use the following scarcity and urgency tactics to drive sales on your eCommerce store:
- Offer limited-time deals: This can create a sense of urgency and encourage customers to make a purchase before the deal expires.
- Highlight low quantities: If you have a product that is in high demand but is running low on inventory, you can highlight this to create a sense of urgency and encourage customers to make a purchase before the product runs out.
- Use countdown timers: Displaying a countdown timer on your product pages or in your email marketing campaigns can create a sense of urgency and encourage customers to make a purchase before time runs out.
- Offer exclusive deals: Consider offering exclusive deals to your email subscribers or loyalty program members to create a sense of exclusivity and encourage them to make a purchase.
5. Build a strong brand
Building a strong brand can help to establish your products as premium offerings, which can make it easier for you to sell without discounting. This can involve things like investing in high-quality packaging and building a strong social media presence.
Ways that building a strong brand image can help establish your products as premium offerings:
- Consistent branding: By maintaining consistent branding across all of your marketing materials and product packaging, you can establish a professional image and convey the high quality of your products.
- High-quality packaging: Investing in high-quality packaging can help to convey the value of your products and make them feel more premium.
- Strong online presence: Building a strong online presence through social media and a well-designed website can help to establish your brand as a reputable and trustworthy source for premium products.
- Positive customer experiences: Providing excellent customer service and delivering high-quality products can help to build a positive reputation for your brand and establish your products as premium offerings.
Building a strong brand image can help to establish your products as premium offerings. This can involve maintaining consistent branding, investing in high-quality packaging, building a strong online presence, and providing positive customer experiences. By focusing on these areas, you can help to convey the value and quality of your products to customers and differentiate your offerings from competitors.
It is possible for businesses to increase sales without resorting to discounts. Some strategies for achieving this include focusing on the value of the product, offering bundle deals or package discounts, providing excellent customer service, using scarcity and urgency tactics, and building a strong brand. Alternatively, businesses can consider offering discounts through coupons or by undercutting competitors, but this may not be the most effective strategy for small businesses or those looking to maximize profits.
Let our expertise guide you to success
Fill out the form below and we will contact you shortly.